Tuesday 30 April 2013

The Kid

I stumbled up the stairs gripping the banisters with my chubby hands stuck between sniffling and gasping for air to reach my little lungs. Tears blurred my vision and I bit my lip every time I snubbed my toes on the stairs. So much for wearing socks!
"Where are you? Come back here!" she screeched from downstairs. "I'm coming to get you!"
Heart thumping I scrambled into my room, closed the door and leant against it trying to quieten my sobs. I heard her coming up the stairs. Fee-fi-fo-fum I smell the blood of a young one. A crippling fright took hold of me and refused to let me go. Be it alive or be it dead...the footsteps grew nearer...I'll grind its bones to make my bread...she was on the landing now. I scrunched my eyes shut, grit my teeth and held my breath. I heard her huffing and puffing; an old monster forced to come out of retirement to settle a score with the new rookie. I slowly breathed in and out as I heard her say: "You can't hide from me!"
Her footsteps thundered down the landing as I scanned my room for somewhere to hide. I dropped to my knees and hid under my desk as the door opened. My heart stopped as she said: "I'll give you such a bea-"
Mercifully the phone began to ring; its metallic call luring the beast. The door squeaked as she closed it. I heard her go downstairs and quickly crawled into bed, pulling the covers over my head. I brushed away my tears and cuddled my pillow. My brain throbbed with a dull pain, my eyes burned, my toes stung and my sobs died. I wrapped myself into a soft, floral cocoon: safe, warm, quiet, a haven. Fatigue cradled me in its arms and kissed me as my eyelids drooped.

In my dreams I'm twirling
Swirling, turning and curling
like a Sufi deep in prayer.

In my dreams I'm riding a white horse,
A fierce she-warrior shrieking in old Norse:
"To do battle and win!"

Lions, tigers and bears
In this world I have no cares,
A tangled jungle where imagination runs free.

I dance with wolves under the moon and stars,
I fly in a magic car on my sole mission to Mars,
I'm daddy's little tiger discovering the world.

I'm the princess, the queen
A lean, mean fighting machine
But always kind, gracious and loving.

Come rain or shine
This world is mine,
Even if it's only for a while
This world is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment