Wednesday 22 May 2013

Wireless

BISH BASH BOSH! Musings of Scribbler has officially returned with its weekly blog! 
I know I said the 1st Tuesday of June but truth be told, I can't stay away from blogging and reading your comments and suggestions! However, I am pleased to announce that I have finished  my finals. I've also been thrust into a foggy maze of "free time" which I'm really not used to. I've spent the past 3 years worrying, procrastinating, crying, working my a*se off and all of a sudden it's gone. Poof! Gone! I just don't know what to do with all this free time - if you have any suggestions (no lewd ones please) do let me know in the comments section.

Today's post is on a Wednesday - sacrebleu ! I received the terrible news that my laptop screen had died. I hate how suddenly these things happen - I went to make a cuppa and came back to my room only to be greeted with a blank screen. I did what anyone would do: texted half the contacts on my phone, coaxed it, whispered sweet nothings into its speakers, shouted at it, used colourful language, begged it, pleaded with it and finally accepted defeat. It's unbelievable how emotional I was - you'd think someone had died or a Shakespearean tragedy had come to life. I nursed my baby (yes...it is my baby) as I legged it to the bus stop. As I sat on the bus cradling my baby I felt hot tears beginning to prick at the backs of my eyes.The sky filled with grey clouds and the air was heavy. It was though the weather understood my pain and cued dramatic scenery just for me. This is insane, I thought. I'm getting teary over a laptop. 
Long story short: I will not have my baby for 2-3 weeks as it's gone off to be repaired. Whilst it was an emotional experience I was shocked by how dependent I am on technology. 
Day #2 into this interesting experiment and so far I actually feel quite liberated: I don't feel the nagging urge to check Twitter or Facebook to see what that 1 notification is all about. I don't feel obliged to reply to people immediately. I've also had more time to relax, be creative and think of new ideas for my blog, future projects and general self. Let's see if this feeling continues for the new few days!
In fact, in general, we're all extremely dependent on technology whether it's our iPhones, tablets, mobiles, BBM, Whatsapp, texting etc. On our way back to campus after yesterday's exam, I noticed two boys walking in the street. They were clearly walking together yet both were on their phones (I'd laugh if they were texting each other!) but it spoke volumes to me. Is this what we've become? I get vexed when I'm having a conversation with someone and they're on their bladdy phone half the time. It's almost like my conversation skills aren't enough for them or their riveting chat. More to the point: it's rude. 
People who text and walk - I will not go out of my way to make extra space for you. Child avert thine eyes away from thy telephone device and pay attention to your surroundings! You don't want to have to walk into me or a tree. I also hate people who text and drive: especially if I'm in the car. Those who know me, know I'm famed for my facial expressions. I do not want to have to pull my "One is not amused" face at you and your mobile. You either pull over and text, or answer the message when we have safely stopped moving in the vehicle. Is it really so hard!? 
I reckon that one day, we'll all have RSI in our thumbs from our longstanding love affair with technology. Maybe we'll evolve to have freakishly long, strong thumbs - who knows I'll laugh if that does happen one day. Darwin eat your heart out. 


2 comments:

Tanish said...

A VERY GOOD ATTEMPT MY FRIEND.
LOOKING FORWARD FOR MORE SUCH IN FUTURE ......

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I laughed all the way through your laptop-screen death. Sweet as :) @Kylens

Post a Comment