Tuesday 11 June 2013

The Frog and the Prime Minister

Recently I've been filling application after application in my pursuit for a job. Yes. Jobs - those things that not many of us have at this moment in time. I've filled out so many "About you" sections that the thought: "Oh God what do I say about myself!?" or "Help! I don't have a personality." now flashes before my eyes whenever I see that section. And most alarmingly: my brain has become saturated with company names and application form questions:
1. How would you describe your breakfast this morning?
(A). I would describe it as a challenge that will push my skills set, however I believe that my strong sense of tenacity, hard work and determination will result in me eating this piece of toast successfully thus relieving my hunger pangs.
It's also been quite difficult to decide what I want to actually do as a job - as a 7 year old I wanted to become Prime Minister and before that I wanted to be a frog. Obviously I can't become an amphibian nor PM but it still hasn't solved my dilemma of: "What do I want to do?"
The emphasis in that question is "I" - a lot of us don't listen to what we really want. If money weren't an issue, I would probably become a dreamy individual camping out under the stars or reciting Wordsworth's poetry in fields of barley at the top of my lungs. The sharp jolt of reality unfortunately tampers with the wispy dreams many of us may have so we have to be practical about things. We also underrate ourselves, our talent and what we are good at. There's nothing wrong with talking about your qualities and what makes you stand out from everybody else - I know many of us feel slightly embarrassed when it comes to talking about our achievements, strengths and good points. The phrase of: "I don't mean to sound big-headed, but...." - there should be no reason to add the "but" before stating your attributes. The "but" immediately creates a negative connotation and puts you down before you begin speaking. If I could tell people something about this scramble for jobs lark it is to be confident, believe in and assert yourself.  However, it's worth noting that a fine line exists between talking about your achievements and blowing your own trumpet.
When most people discover that I'm an English Lit student the first thing they say is: "So are you going into teaching?" or "That's a Mickey Mouse degree." (Don't hate. Appreciate.)
It is naive to think that people will stay in a career that is directly linked to their degree. We live in a world where now the idea of: "one job for life" is practically non-existent. You never know where life will take you or what opportunities will pop up. I know many people who are happy in jobs that have no relation to what they studied. The chances of people going through several jobs in a few years are now higher than ever: it is important to adapt to whatever situation you're put in. It is a reality that a lot of us have to accept and come to terms with - there is nothing wrong with going through more than one job. It does not make you any less valuable or worthless to someone who's been in their field for decades. In fact, don't even compare yourself to other people if it makes you feel like sh*t. Focus on your own thing, achieve it and savour the success it entails.
We are all making our own very different journeys that are shaped by our actions, thoughts and different modes of talent in a confusing misty maze we call life.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly give yourself credit as aspiring to be a frog or prime minister has its own challenges. Back in the ancient times when I was looking for jobs, it was the same story, long application forms, companies stipulating experience needed.."well give me a job and I will earn the experience mate". A majority of us would pack our jobs in to pursue our passion however we live in a capitalist society and circumstances i.e.food clothes and materialism demand we take the next best thing. If you have aspirations to make difference outside your work hrs, then find a job which allows you to do this, otherwise you will loose the motivation eventually without any traction. We here to make a difference in ppls lives, make a positive mark and tell the world I was here, lets not let a job dictate our lives.

Nice article and well written.
MJAR.

Diary. said...

Awesome blog again! :)

Post a Comment