Wednesday 21 November 2012

SlumGods.

I'm typing up this blog on a grey, rainy day which is making me regret the decision I made to wash my hair.
This always happens! The day after I wash my hair, it rains. And for those of you with curly hair, I'm sure you feel my pain!
For those who are wondering; my birthday was amazing and for the first time, I sat looking at my family content and appreciating all of the crazy characters that sat around the table. I felt a sense of pride that after everything the past 7 years, we're united and still love each other so much; we're still a force to be reckoned with.

Today I was doing my usual reading stuff online, surveillance on FB (aka. stalking) and drinking tea when I came across a play on words: "SlumGods, cuz we were never dogs."
It struck a chord with me. It sounds stupid coming from an English Lit student, but I never really carefully considered the film title's words. To call someone a "dog" is hardly a compliment; it indicates inequality, dehumanisation and belittlement. I also interpreted it in terms of race and it reminded me of the colonial past in India and other previous colonies.  Now in any state that was previously a colony, it's generally interpreted as a scar in that country's history. That scar carries the suffering and the pain of the people living during those times. The word "dog" in this context just reminded me of the social divide created on the basis of one's skin complexion - white skin equating to a higher social status and darker skin being indicative of a lowly, sub-human status; perhaps a dog?

What I love about the phrase: "SlumGods" is that there's a reversal of the previous paragraph; those very same people have been elevated, given worth, value, love and appreciation. It removes the "them and us" notion and empowers that group of people.
It reminds us of the value that is present in life; to live is a privilege and beyond any materialistic goods.
Think of all the babies that are still-born, who don't reach 3 years old or die of complicated reasons or a horrible illness. Life is gift and we do not value it enough. To be born and being lucky enough to celebrate your birthday is a privilege.
All the "YOLO-ing" and hedonist lifestyles - sure if that's your thing, go for it - kinda contradicts with what I'm trying to say.

 I've never liked Frankie Boyle's film "Slumdog Millionaire" because it focuses on one area of India and in my opinion it doesn't address issues properly.
I mean, it's common knowledge that there's a LOT of corruption in India, an overwhelmingly sickening level of poverty, the ridiculous outdated caste system, gender inequality, the killing of baby girls, discrimination on the basis of complexion etc.  What irritates me is that no one is doing much to address these issues, trying to change attitudes so that the next generation of kids are better, more progressive and pioneering than the previous one. And those who are trying to do so are smacked back into "their place" by corrupt forces in power.

Since the film came out, various white friends now think that they know everything about India...when they don't. They don't even know about or appreciate the beauty of North India, the heritage of the South and one thing that the film overlooks is the richness and vibrancy that exists in Indian culture regardless of regions.
No matter where you are from, what the colour of your skin is, what language you speak, what religion you follow or not, what your culture is and your identity, it's your worth as a human being that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment