Thursday 15 November 2012

Chipped nail varnish and grazed knees

Wow it's been a while since I've written on here!  Truth be told, final year at uni has taken over my young life.
Assignments, extra reading, more reading, research, more reading and the dreaded D-word (aka my dissertation)
Life's been alright too; Obama's back for another 4 years so the world's safe-ish for now and I'm drinking a nice cuppa tea. But seriously, it's been a shock settling into third year. Been down for a while now and well I'm on the mend - so I thought I'd return to this!
I was in the kitchen earlier washing up (like a good Indian girl) and I started to think about things in general.
This weekend I hit the big 21 (Sunday for those interested) and it dawned on me that by July I will leave the uni bubble to enter into "the real world." 
It scared me. A bit. 
I kinda got away with branding myself as "Twen-teen" for a whole year because I guess I was in complete denial about growing up and wasn't ready to leave my teenhood.
For older people reading this, I can understand if you're screaming at your laptop/PC screen: "Whaaat!? You're so young, and young people don't go through mid-life crises etc!!"
Fair play. We don't have wrinkles, complications of a family, consideration of plastic surgery or botox YET, but it is overwhelming for us and to be fair, I feel like an old woman sometimes haha!

One of the reasons why we feel increasingly overwhelmed is because there's more pressure on us today than before. Now I'm not saying that previous generations didn't have it hard; everyone does.
There's just a lot more competition today, more human beings and it doesn't help that the economy has gone pants up.
Also, most of us have no idea what we want to do.
It made me laugh because back in primary school, we used to talk about what we wanted to be when we grew up and the imagination of our childhood is incredible:
"A policeman!"
"A princess!"
"A fireman!"
Me: "Prime Minister!" (please don't ask, I was a weird one)

Obviously I don't want to be the PM because I realised that it's a dirty game, my grandmother would probably slap me for making bad decisions and well....just not for me.
From experience, most Indian kids are told to become a doctor, dentist (good luck with bad breath), engineer, teacher, mother, lawyer etc. I kinda...bucked the trend and decided against doing a traditional degree for which I did get a lot of stick for.
I got away with it, but now all the questions are firing at me left, right and centre:
"Will you go into teaching?" - It's a last resort.
"Errr...what job will you get??" - No idea, life's a gamble.
"You won't get anywhere with that degree!" - Really? Watch.
So understandably, I have a lot to prove (which worries me a bit).  My friends and I have gone through the endless alternate life plans, become a gold digger, get a sugar daddy - all the sleazy stuff we joke about but will never do.
When I figure out a vague idea of what to do, I'll def get back to you on that.
Happy writing :)



No comments:

Post a Comment