Tuesday 4 December 2012

"Ain't nobody fresher then ma clique!" Yeah yeah....

For once it's a sunny day but don't be fooled - it's damn cold out there!
I walked out of my flat this morning wrapped up for Arctic-like conditions (have you seen the weather lately?) and when I saw the sun shining, I thought: "For God's sake..."
On my way home from campus - when I decided NOT to wear a scarf, that's when the sub-zero like wind hit me. Nice...
I was channeling my inner gangster (I'm south London, watch yo step!) with all kinds of rap earlier, so I'm in a bit of a bad-ass kinda mood. And plus, I feel a bit lary.
The reason I've picked this topic is because of observations I've made on my fellow human beings and a comment that one of my good friends said to me yesterday: "huge groups of people....cliquey"
In true Scribbler style, I mused it over and was thinking of what to do for my weekly blog: cue light bulb.

I'm not gunna lie, it's something I think every single one of us encounters at some point in our lives.
You know what I mean;  the bitchy group of girls in secondary school, the popular "pretty" girls that hang out together and sneer at us normal beings, the guys that brag about banging every girl in school/uni and have a "secret code name" for their little group (they think it's cool but honestly: stop it now), the collective community who hang out together but really just bitch and backbite about each other in secret.
It's a bit like a toned down version of Jeremy Kyle-meets-Made-in-Chelsea.

It makes me laugh and feel a sense of pity - funny emotions to put next to each other, but tragedy and comedy are often placed next to each other so it kinda works.
I laugh because they're so pathetic: yeah stick with your clique for now, but when you need to enter the big world you're going to be alone. And where will your fellow brothers/bretherin be? Probably nowhere judging by the tumbleweed that passes by you.
It's almost like a herd of sheep that follow each other no matter what; even if Sheep #1 falls off the hill and drowns in a lake. Look! Down go all the sheep!*
I also feel a sense of pity (not too much!) because they clearly do not have a strong enough sense of identity to go out, be confident in themselves to do things by themselves. Instead they're consumed by their insecurity and fear of being left alone or maybe just not wanted by anyone, that they conform to this clique even if it is against the grain of their nature as a person.
I think secondary school and university (and life in general) are spaces where you start your journey in creating who will you become in later years. If you  become a Siamese twin to a clique/group/whatever you want to call it, you lose out on that golden opportunity to start this journey or at least start thinking about it.
I think it also blurs and destroys your unique perception of things; you're always going to have your views smeared by the clique's opinion. You don't create anything for yourself that is truly individual and tailored to you as a person.
It's also a sign of immaturity; it's so secondary school type thinking: "Oh my God, if I want to be socially accepted or considered cool (what exactly defines this?) I have to hang with so-and-so"
Unfortunately, I am aware that this is something that continues into later life but why not break the habit now?

ARRRGH! Grow up! And man up as well! Be proud of who you are on your own and stop being sheep (no matter how cute they look)

*No sheep were actually harmed in the creation of this post.*

1 comment:

residentofalittlerock said...

being a black sheep can be lonely at times, but at least you can be who you want to be and do what you want to do, when you want to do it. I feel sorry for people that can't function without the company or approval of someone else, but usually i just roll my eyes. I'm an observer by nature so I've been taking in quite a bit of what people have been up to and find so many of the people who are centre of attention are pathetic at times. Or maybe I'm just a jaded old woman, haha

Post a Comment